Saturday, January 12, 2008

Are You a Fashion Slave?

Being a slave to fashion is never on trend. And I quote directly from a Marilyn Kirschner Daily Fashion Report:

“And for heaven’s sake, please don’t listen to those so called ‘fashion experts’ who wish to remind their audience that there are certain fashion ‘rules’ to obey: like not wearing white after Labor Day; or the one that says if you wore a trend the first time…don’t wear it again.. What a laugh and what a stupid rule. Any way, rules are meant to be broken, n’est past?”


In the end, it’s between you and your closet, what you can and can’t afford and what YOU like. It’s nobody’s business what you choose to wear. Your clothes should make you feel beautiful and fit well with your body type and personal style. If you are comfortable wearing white in Winter, go ahead. If those skinny jeans look undeniably perfect on your long limbs, more power to you. Keep the fashion rules and trends in your peripheral and bring the focus on yourself to the front. I think the world is aglow with women who know fashion and style just as well, if not better, than any paid expert or stylist.

How can you tell if you are a fashion slave?

1. Nothing in your closet matches or works well together.
2. You leave the house looking like Victoria Beckham
3. Your favorite T-shirt has a designer name stamped on the front (or back).
4. Your friends comment on your "interesting" look all the time.
5. You are always uncomfortable in your clothing and never have anything appropriate to wear.

To read more about the DFR or Marilyn Kirschner, check out The Look Online.

6 comments:

LDF said...

I would sure like to get my hands on Victoria Beckham! And my hands would be shoving hamburgers and milkshakes down her throat.
That is NOT style!

Emily/Randomability said...

I guess I am NOT a slave to fashion. All my answers were no. Yippee!!

However, I don't have much new stuff in my closet either. What's a girl to do?

Crimzen Creative said...

I agree, iron chic, she's such a tool.
emily - stick around and maybe we can help fill your closet with a give away.

Anonymous said...

i have a bunch of mismatched items in my closet, but it's not because i'm a slave to fashion. it's because when i see something i really, really love i buy it without thinking if i have anything to wear with it!! and sadly, usually i don't so i end up with one (or several) cute things w/no possible mate in sight.

Crimzen Creative said...

moxie - lol! I have done that a few times (okay, A LOT OF TIMES).

Anonymous said...

If I get my hands on VB, it'll be to get access to david..... :-) I don't even understand why we're using her name and "style" in the same sentence. lol...... Her taste is expensive. that's it.