It only takes a few chance happenings for me to write about something and lately I have been reading about Men and their shorts. The Iron Chic says that men wearing shorts is a deal breaker. This is how it started. Then a few days later, I saw an ad in a magazine dating back to the 80s featuring those awful cut-off denim Bermudas. Anyone remember the frayed acid washed looked? Yes, it was frightening (and the mullet wasn't too cool either). The next evening, I was reading about 1950s fashion and noticed that Bermuda shorts became very popular in America during this decade.
As most of you know, we are LADY Language, and don’t usually talk about Men’s fashion around here. But, as a service to all of those women who have husbands, brothers, sons (or if you are one of our fabulous male readers - we love to see your smiling faces), here are the rules for wearing Bermuda shorts:
1. Absolutely no Bermuda shorts with a blazer - don't even think about wearing this to work. You might as well just wear your boxer shorts as they have the same effect.
2. PLEASE, do not pair them with knee high socks and dress shoes or loafers.
3. DO NOT sport your bare feet in loafers while wearing Bermudas (refer to #2 regarding socks).
4. I know it’s hard to hear, but you cannot, and I repeat CANNOT wear them with a cardigan sweater.
5. Ditch the jean short Bermudas, please...I can’t beg you enough. If these become popular again, I am seriously gonna cry (the way I did when I saw the Water Horse).
But alas, there is hope. Here are the circumstances in which you MAY wear them:
1. You carry a man purse.
2. You are over 55 and live in Florida or Arizona.
3. You are younger than 18.
4. You are a member of the British Military
5. You golf or play tennis (yeah, it’s okay Dad)
6. You live in Bermuda (seriously, it is the Male dress code - they wear them 3 inches above the knee and this is the trend origin).
None of the above apply to you but you still wear 'em? So does my husband. No worries, please just wear a casual shirt or tee shirt and be sure they AT LEAST go down to the top of your knee. DO NOT wear them mid-thigh...no...it is not sexy. Save the short shorts for the gym...a sweaty guy with bulging thighs in short shorts at the gym...now that is sexy.
Want more male fashion? Head on over to Manchic for some eye candy.