Friday, February 1, 2008

Friday Q&A - Wearing Polka Dots

Q: Can I wear Polka Dots this season, or are they considered "out"?

A: Polka dots are a timeless print and really never go "out" of style. While it's true that designers sometimes need to give this print a rest in their seasonal line up, there is no reason why you have to follow suit. If the print is part of your personal style and you wear it well, moderation is the key. Pick one piece of clothing or accessory and go for it. I am partial to smaller polka dot prints and black and white as the larger prints can look childish or comical. I personally love it when a woman bucks the trends and wears what she likes, especially if she looks stunning. Besides, when everyone else is wearing the latest cookie cutter trend, you will have maintained your personal style despite what the magazines and stylists have to say!

A Brief History of the Polka Dot

The origin of the polka dot pattern may be left to our imagination as there isn't a single factual source. Possibly influenced by the Polish polka dance as it was done in a circular motion, it has been around since the 1880s. The polka dot inspired Walt Disney's Minnie Mouse and it was set into fashionable motion by "I Love Lucy" dresses and the "Isty Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" in the 1950s. The polka dot print has been a part of our pop culture and fashion landscape for over a half century. Andy Warhol used tiny polka dots in his paintings during the 1960s. Julia Roberts portrayed the classically prim effect of the polka dot dress during the 1980s in Pretty Woman and the Pipettes revived the polka dot trend for Britain around 2006 wearing their big, bold prints on stage.
The Pipettes - photo courtesy of daniel arnold on flickr

Happiness, innocence and femininity best describe the polka dot in my mind. If this fits your outlook and style, then you may want to give the polka dot a second glance. Check out Polka Dots in Fashion for an interesting look into the world of the dots.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh polka dots are just my favourite thing. I have a polka dot dress which I just love to wear and I always feel great in it and people always tell me I look good. I also have a skirt which is quite similar which can be worn anytime really.

I just love them. But I do wonder if I am perhaps getting just a little bit old for them!!!! Maybe next year I will give them up.

But Polka dots make me feel like Tigger (and yes I know he is stripey) but they make me want to BOUNCE!

Anonymous said...

I think polka dots will always be in. The pattern is more general than other more complicated ones, but is totally fun to wear. I have a black and white polka dot dress with a red belt. Everyone always compliments how nice it looks, and the comments are from different age groups! ;)

Crimzen Creative said...

reluctant - I don't think you're ever too old to wear the dots as long as you look good in them so hang on to that dress and skirt!
linda - so true - the dots are fun and uncomplicated and I love the addition of a red belt to black and white!

LDF said...

I love that dress in Pretty Woman! So memorable....
I'm on and off with polka dots.
My boy always thinks that they are cute.

Crimzen Creative said...

Iron Chic - That dress so fit the scene in that movie with the overall vibe of the whore trying to fit in with the classy folk. I personally don't own many dots because I am tall and clumsy looking so the whole look may be cartoonish on me.

Momisodes said...

I love polka dots. They make me feel a bit more feminine at times. I also prefer the small polka dots, and usually white dots against black or navy. I adore both :) Even my daughter has a few polka dot outfits with pink, white and brown- all very girlie and cute!

Crimzen Creative said...

hi sandy - The small white dots against navy is such a classy and feminine look. My daughter does not like polka dots, she prefers plaid unfortunately - usually with a stripe top!

Slutty McWho? said...

Ooh, I don't think that I could wear a dress with really big polka dots. I have quite "delicate" features and I think that anything with a pattern on it washes me out and makes me look bland.

Crimzen Creative said...

Miss McWhore - good to see you! The larger polka dot pattern is distracting and I agree it would overpower small features. It works well for Minnie and her big head though :)

Jessi said...

Haha! I really think Minnie Mouse pulls it off best. :P

Unknown said...

I think polka dots are very fashionable. I see women wearing polka dots all the time. Usually right after Annie catches me lookin'.

Crimzen Creative said...

jessi - we should just leave the polka dot dresses to Minnie :)
lou - you have a very good woman!

Anonymous said...

i think polka dots are always in.................... please tell me they are cuz i plan on rocking some this spring :-)