Tuesday, February 19, 2008

We Love To Clown Around

Stephanie said they were too long and made her look like a circus clown, then laughed hysterically. Jessica is 8 months pregnant and cannot possibly fit into them. I tried them and they were too short and definitely not flattering to my hip area. I wondered why I would intentionally hike my pants into my armpits. I asked a few other friends if they would try them...no thanks.

The High Waisted pant dilemma. They seem so cool and trendy, almost reminiscent of better days when a dance and song blessed every feature film. Truth is, the average female cannot wear them easily. Large hips? Sorry. Short waist or torso? No way. Pouch belly or big butt? Keep walking. Tall, slender, long legged, long torso, slim hipped, defined waist? Bingo! If the latter describes your figure, run...go get yourself a pair of high waisted pants fast! The other 95% of us? They're okay paired with a higher neck blouse or top and a long cardigan sweater or jacket.

Anyone else have an opinion on this trend? I'd love to know what you think!


8 comments:

The Poet Laura-eate said...

I think you need to be lucky enough to have a high bustline to get away with a high waistline, otherwise the look can be unfortunate indeed!

Anonymous said...

They remind me of being pregnant actually. For ages I resisted buying maternity clothes and just used to hoist my skirts further and further up my body to avoid the growing bump till they nearly were under my armpits. Couldn't do it with trousers obviously.

I think we have got so used to very low slung trousers these days, that the high waisted ones look most peculiar.

I don't think I will be going out to buy any although I perhaps fit your description of the type of person who could wear them. Having a long torso is not generally an advantage for anything - particularly not swimming costumes.

I thought Courtney Love looked very lovely in the top photo on your post below.

Anonymous said...

I'm in the 95% Just not tall enough...but that's ok, we're still awesome!

Jessi said...

Unfortunately, a lot of fashion trends fall into the "Tall, slender, long legged, long torso, slim hipped, defined waist" category....that describes models and that's what fashions look best on, lol.

And as for the riding up to your arm pits, I'm with you. I actually have a picture of myself somewhere where I was joking around with a pair of stretchy pants that were given to my mom. They were about 5 times too big for me anyway, but sliding into them, I could pull them up to my armpits. But oh no, I didn't stop there. I tossed a couple kids in with me and we had a hayday with all of us fitting into these pants. They were just the wrong proportions even for a person that they would ideally fit correctly, heh. High-waisted pants are the same way....most people who try them just don't work with them very well.

Crimzen Creative said...

Poet - ah yes, I forgot about the bust - mine is not high so that is part of the problem as well :)

Reluctant - I always wished for a longer torso, but then I suppose I would have the swimsuit dilemma as well. Courtney can look respectable when she is sober :)

Linda - yeah, you're right, we still rock!

Jessi - hehe - that'd be a funny picture. Curse those slender models - i want to see real women wearing these darn pants!

Momisodes said...

I'm tall, long waisted, with narrow hips, but I have narrow shoulders with minimal bust-line. These make me look like a Olive Oil from Popeye :(

LDF said...

I tagged you on my blog!
Hopefully you haven't done this one......

Crimzen Creative said...

iron chic - I haven't been tagged in a while and with nothing better to do on a Thursday night, let me just see...