Saturday, December 15, 2007

I Didn't Need To Read That

I usually wonder what all the fuss is over celebrities. Then I find myself reading the latest write up on Victoria Beckham in Elle Magazine (January 2008). The majority of it is annoying. Detailed descriptions of what she is wearing and how her mansion is so beautifully decorated. I don't need to read that she was wearing a t-shirt, and I quote "snug enough to reveal the outline of her nipples". Huh? I had to take a second glance at the cover to make sure I wasn't reading Maxim Magazine. She claims that we don't have to spend a lot of money to look good and that it is all about being sensible and mixing and matching. So then I look at the fashion spread featuring a pair of $295 sunglasses, $695 shoes and $5,520 jacket. I see nothing affordable about this. I want to see her wearing a pair of $15 sunglasses, $75 pair of shoes, and a $112 jacket. Now that is affordable and attainable fashion.

The truth is, I have always liked Victoria because I believe there is more depth to her than all of this primping and posing. She was raised by a modest family who worked hard for a living. They taught her poise and manners and she has carried this into her adult life. She seems to be a smart business women (aside from the affordable fashion misshap) and is actually quite down to earth. We could all learn a lesson from the lovely Mrs. Beckham. She admittedly claims to be "not good at anything". That is refreshing to hear because I am really not that good at anything either. And, I am definitely not very good at enduring childhood trauma, joining a pop group sensation, marrying an iconic soccer player, becoming filthy rich, and starting my own clothing and makeup line.

Can you imagine her as a child all awkward and pimply with mean girls launching stones in her direction? Yeah...it happened, and I bet the girls that threw stones were huddling together at her latest concert hoping she wouldn't spy them (or maybe jumping up and down and stupidly screaming "I went to school with her!"). Kids are so cruel sometimes (especially girls). So let this all be a lesson to all you mean girls...that geeky, chubby, pimply chic could someday be the next Madonna...or Victoria Beckham. And, if you are truly interested in hearing some juicy details about the Spice Girls reunion tour, check out Daddy Likey - Winona was within 15 feet of Mr. Beckham. And, if you are curious about Mrs. Beckham, check out her recent appearance on Ellen. And yes, for some insane reason that I have yet to define in my subconscious mind, I am eternally jealous of anyone going to a Spice Girls reunion concert...and literally embarrassed for having to blog about it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't really know anything much about Victoria Beckham and I have to confess I always assumed she was rather shallow (but that is on the basis of no information whatsoever - actually it is probably envy!!!)and uninteresting.

What I always find hard to remember is that celebrities are actually just real people underneath. That they must think and feel all the same things that I do.

I am more of an Amy Winehouse person myself!!!

Crimzen Creative said...

Hi reluctant! Yes, we do have to remember they are just real people. I dig Amy too, such talent, but such a troubled soul it seems. I haven't read much about her lately and I hope she gets better.

daddylikeyblog said...

Confession: Every time I read a news story about Victoria or David now, I get the same warm fuzzy feeling as if they were my best friends, like, "Oh, I'm glad to hear they're doing well."

Crimzen Creative said...

Hi Winona! Still jealous of your experience. I have only seen them on TV and in magazines therefore I am deprived of that warm fuzzy feeling...damn. I believe they are coming to Chicago so I may have to pay $300 for a ticket...