Friday, December 21, 2007

How I Got Rid Of My $645 Obsession For $30

I too often read about fashionable women in their Christian Louboutin boots or their Prada heels and cringe at the thought of spending the cash to obtain these items. Can you imaging shelling out $890 for a pair of Louboutin Seude Ankle Boots? Or $590 for a pair of Prada Satin & Suede T-Strap Sandals? Not me...at least not yet (those Prada T-Straps are pretty divine though- please someone slap me and take away my credit card!).

There is a cure for the ailment that is the shoe obsession and it is perfectly normal to drool over your favorite high end designer shoes (I'll even admit to cutting out pictures and keeping them in a folder for later reference...I know it's VERY scary). Now, take those images or pictures and bargain hunt. Tell yourself that you will find a similar, alternate, and less expensive pair somewhere, someday and keep your eyes peeled. If you have a clear mission, if you are relentless, and if you have time, seek and you will find. Try your local thift stores, or off-price stores such T.J. Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, Filene's Basement, Marshalls, or online shoe stores such as PlanetShoes, OnlineShoes.com, Shoes.com, ShoeMall.

Don't make the mistake of buying "cheap" shoes that will inevitably hurt your feet. You will most likely have to spend $40-$120 on a decent pair (but then again, the bargains are out there). I recommend the following brands that emulate the high priced designer looks for a fraction of the cost: AK Anne Klein, Bobbi Blu, BCBGirls, Kenneth Cole Reaction, Naturalizer, Steve Madden, Seychelles,

In October of this year, I needed (okay, WANTED) a pair of peep-toe patent leather shoes. I knew I couldn't afford the $645 pair of Fendi's that I fell in love with, so I cut out the picture, obsessed and blogged about them and kept my eyes open. And lo and behold, with less than two weeks left to New Year's Eve (when I planned to wear the shoes), I scored a pair of Steve Madden peep-toe patent leather shoes for $30 at a local T.J Maxx. I am looking forward to standing 6 foot 3 inches (a good 3 inches above my husband a la Katie Holmes style) this New Year's Eve. Are they comfortable? I'll let you know after I walk and dance away the night in them. And, you can get the same pair (pictured above) at SmartBargains for $60 - still a decent deal and also available in Red and Silver.

And now I can happily wait at least three months before obsessing over Spring and Summer shoe styles! But, while we are on the subject, it is the dead of Winter in the Midwest and I could use some new boots...

4 comments:

Julia said...

I also have a shoe obsession, or rather a bargain obsession for clothes and everything!!! LOL I'm sure you know of cutesyshoes.com it's a bargain shoe mecca you can find ANYTHING for the cheapest prices, another good site is gojane.com. Great shoes to wear for that special occasion!!!!

Crimzen Creative said...

Hi Julia! I will have to visit cutesyshoes and thanks for the tip. I have visited gojane, but never checked out the shoes.

Jessi said...

I just bought some boots exactly like those tall black ones pictured on the left. And get this. I bought them at *Wal-Mart*....on clearance. There was only one pair tucked away behind some other kinds of boots (it was magical that they were in my size...especially considering I struggle to find shoes that fit me correctly) and when I got to the check out, I found out why. They were in perfect condition, but the price tag was missing, so people had avoided them (price checks are always a pain, yuck). I was there at midnight, though, and had a few minutes to spare. I *adore* them. Of course, they're not designer shoes/boots, and I'll probably toss some insoles in them for comfort, but at the price I paid, I'm in love!

Crimzen Creative said...

Hi Jessi - a wonderful story of hope for all of the shoe obsessed! I think some of the most fashionable women out there know their style and how to find it for cheap - doesn't matter where you find it or what brand necessarily - just that it looks good and fits you well. Maybe you could wear them with that red dress and a leather motorcycle jacket :)